EAST RUSTON OLD VICARAGE GARDENS - (06/05)
All of the photos featured in this latest update to the website are from the East Ruston Old Vicarage Gardens. The gardens are located in Norfolk just off the B1159 road that runs between Walcott and Stalham.
|The entrance court, (centre photo) greets visitors to the 18 acre exotic garden clustered around the Old Vicarage, a typical Arts and Crafts house built in 1913 by Surrey Architect Henry Sidebotham, (house not open to the public). At the time of visiting dogs were not permitted in the gardens and there were admission charges of £4 for adults and £1 for children.|
|The garden is split up in many different areas or 'rooms' including the walled, dutch and mediterranean gardens as well as a wild flower meadow with views of East Ruston Church.|
|Californian Poppies at their best in the Californian Border and Desert Wash. Shelter belts were planted in the late 80's to protect the gardens from the elements and these allow the exotic plants to survive, the gardens are just one and a half miles from the coast.|
|After many years of neglect the house and gardens were purchased by the current owners in 1973, although work on the layout of the garden did not commence until 1988.|