GREENWAY BANK COUNTRY PARK - 27/07/03
Today we visit Greenway Bank Country Park, it is located in Staffordshire, just off the A527 road, less than two miles south of Biddulph. We park at the main car park near the Visitors and Information Centre. The weather is mainly dry and cloudy, with sunny spells later in the day.
|Up until the 1870's Greenway Country Park was part of two country estate's, Kypersley Hall and the Greenway Bank Estate. The water above, called the Serpentine Pool was constructed as a feeder reservoir for the Trent and Mersey Canal sometime between 1781 and 1783.|
|There are two reservoirs here, separated by a small dam. The Serpentine Pool, as mentioned above, and Knypersley Pool, still used as a feeder for the canal system, which was constructed in 1827 on the site of an old water mill.|
|The reservoirs are a popular spot with anglers. The Warder's Tower, centre and right photos above was was built in 1828 and until recently was used as a cottage.|
|The photo on the left shows Gawtons Stone, centre a small waterfall and right photo one of the numerous Grey Squirrels at the Park.|
|Left is the Grotto, centre photo shows the Visitors Centre as we return back to the car park. On the right with the weather improving we stop for tea at The Church House Inn, located just outside Congleton, on the road that leads from Congleton towards Buxton, the A54.|