CHATSWORTH HOUSE - 24/08/03 - PAGE 2
Page two from our visit to Chatsworth House, this page features details and photographs from the gardens, for details regarding the house and it's history, and where Chatsworth is located see Chatsworth - Page 1.
|The photos on the right and centre show the Canal Pond, constructed in 1702 and 314 yards in length with the house in the background, and the gravity fed Emperor Fountain, complete with rainbow.|
|The gardens here at Chatsworth have evolved over 450 years into how they appear today, famous gardeners include Lancelot Brown, more commonly known as Capability Brown, employed by the 4th Duke of Devonshire and Joseph Paxton appointed by the 6th Duke.|
|There are many different elements to the 105 acre gardens here, there is a Rose Garden, Cottage Garden, (as right photo) a Maze, Rockery and Cascade, (you can see photos from Rockery and Cascade on Chatsworth - Page 1)|
|On the left a butterfly, Small Tortoiseshell? Centre photo shows the Revelation, it opens up to reveal a golden sphere, although we didn't manage to catch it in action! On the right a statue at the entrance to the Kitchen Garden.|
|The photo on the left shows a sculpture by Geoffrey Wax, presented by the Devonshire Rotary Diamond to the the Duke and Duchess of Devonshire to celebrate their Diamond Wedding in 2001. Centre photo shows the entrance to the magnificent stables, constructed between 1755 and 1764, commissioned by the 4th Duke. On the right the River Derwent runs through the grounds at Chatsworth.|